The best gift is giving back.
As we’ve said in the past, we’re so proud to be able to supply Tampa Bay patients and caregivers with much-needed medical supplies year-round. And we understand that your needs—both medical and financial—can become even more complicated during the holidays. And that includes people who come to Tampa from out of town, who may find themselves with immediate and unexpected needs for medical supplies.
Helios can help resolve your holiday medical supply concerns. (Read more here about how to get medical supplies in Tampa during the holidays.)
We also want to highlight a very special Tampa charity that Helios proudly supports: Hooked On Hope provides support for breast cancer patients right here in Hillsborough and Pinellas and surrounding areas.
We work with Hooked on Hope to provide services and assistance to breast cancer patients. If you or someone you know is battling breast cancer this holiday season, we encourage you to look to this remarkable Tampa nonprofit for help.
What is Hooked on Hope?
For more than 15 years, this volunteer-led organization has provided financial and other support to Tampa-area breast cancer patients. Read more about Hooked on Hope here.
What Is The Connection Between Breast Cancer And Lymphedema?
Lymphedema is a buildup of fluids, especially in the extremities, that occurs when the body’s lymphatic system (ie lymph nodes) cannot fully process and remove these fluids.
Breast cancer cells can often infiltrate the lymph nodes and interfere with their functioning. Breast cancer treatments like radiation and chemotherapy further damage the lymphatic system as they attempt to eradicate these cancer cells. Additionally, breast cancer surgery often involves the removal of lymph nodes near the breasts and armpits.
All of these scenarios make breast cancer-associated lymphedema a very common secondary diagnosis after breast cancer.
How Can Breast Cancer Patients Acquire Lymphedema Compression Garments?
For many years, public insurance programs—ie Medicare and Medicaid—have not covered the purchase of lymphedema garments for breast cancer patients. (Note that, beginning on Jan. 1, 2024, Medicare Part B will cover compression garments if they’ve been prescribed for a lymphedema diagnosis and treatment. Original Medicare still requires that the patient pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount.)
How Does Helios Support Hooked on Hope?
Helios provides lymphedema garments, services and other resources for Hooked on Hope, which dedicates several thousand dollars a year to provide lymphedema garments to uninsured and underinsured breast cancer patients.
Helios is Tampa’s leading supplier of lymphedema supplies and service. With our brick-and-mortar location, we’re able to provide eye-to-eye service to lymphedema patients and their caregivers and loved ones. Our in-person Tampa medical supply services allows us to
- Provide adequate lymphedema medical supplies for Tampa breast cancer patients, often including two identical garments (one to wear and one to wash) in terms of compression sleeves and compression gloves, with a combination of insurance funding and additional financial aid from Hooked on Hope.
- Ensure the proper fit for lymphedema compression garments
- Provide options depending on the patient’s comfort and other preferences
- Provide expert measuring for custom lymphedema compression garments
- Offer an education regarding garments, how they work, and how they should feel and fit
- Reassure patients who have fears or misgivings about lymphedema
- Troubleshoot potential lymphedema problems that can arise from poor-fitting garments, incorrect wear, and other issues
- Help patients navigate insurance processes in order to maximize benefits
- Connect patients with Hooked on Hope and with certified lymphedema therapists in the Tampa area.
- Answer questions from breast cancer patients about lymphedema and lymphedema compression garments, as well as insurance coverage for medical supplies
For more information about our relationship with this amazing organization, watch a video of Helios founder Shawn Hall talking with Mary Ostien about our partnership.